It is 2:27 am and I am currently beginning my second consecutive sleepless night this week. With a scalding cup of coffee beside me, I am sitting in the common area of my suite with my roommates (They are all unrecognizable almost- zombies. One of them is probably Tyler.) We aren’t talking to each other but the room is rampant with the sounds of six pairs of hands clack-clack-clacking on keyboards and the incomprehensible murmurs of the extremely exhausted.
It is that point in the semester where we occasionally stop what we are doing to wonder if any of this is worth it and consider dropping out of school and starting up that mobile hot dog truck business we’ve always dreamed about. Luckily for you, Hell Week isn’t the only time I don’t have my shit together, so I have a few handy tips to help you get over those hurdles and make it to the finish line.
Here are some things you are probably stressed about right now:
-Is school worth it? What is the point of it all? I could totally live a comfortable (not to mention SEXY) life running a mobile hot dog business.
– What am I going to do about all those assignments I didn’t do?
-I’ve been cramming for Chem 320 for the last three nights and still, the only thing I remember is that joke about two chemists walking into a bar.
-How can I make Jimmy Fallon fall in love with me?
Here’s the thing I’ve learned: freaking out is doing you no good. Neither is complaining about how much work you have (I’m looking at you, architects). There’s a few things you can do to actually address the stuff you are stressing about:
- Accept that the Jimmy Fallon thing is never going to happen for you. It’s just getting in the way of the important stuff you actually need to be doing.
- Leave the existential questions and philosophical fun stuff for after this week. Take it a day at a time. Right now, your purpose on Earth is passing that class. Make a list of everything you have to do today and then make another tomorrow. One day at a time.
- Speaking of passing, at this point, if you don’t know one thing about Chem 320, you’re pretty much screwed. Try speaking to your professor or using online study websites to engage you. Also, did you hear about that time two chemists walked into a bar. The first asked for some H2O. The second asked for H2O2. He died.
- As for all the work you missed or all the things you could have done, forget about it. You can ask your professor if they will take it late, but if not, let it go. Make sure you ace that final, though.
Before you know it, this week will be over and you will be relaxing in Winter Break bliss. Hang in there. Come back next week to see the 5 steps to making your dream of starting up a mobile food business become a reality.