If you are visiting NYC, why don’t you plan a few days in the American capital ?To get there, I recommend you the bus. This is the most economical way to get there, and a multitude of companies offering trips every day from the Port Authority Terminal, the bus station in the center of Manhattan. It will take you just our hours to reach the destination .
The cultural heritage of Wahigton made the city one of the largest US tourist destinations. It’s hard to get bored in this town thanks to the many museums and famous monuments. DC is not only the White House and the Capitol. These are also lovely walks along the river, the world cuisine, architecture and shops.
- Wich areas to shop and walk around?
U Street Corridor: The unmissable place for vintage lovers. Take a look at Buffalo Exchange, Junction and Ginger Root. The area is full of small original shops. The area is also very nice in the evening, thanks to various restaurants and small jazz and rock concert halls.
Georgetown ; It is a neighborhood with a fascinating architecture. Let’s admire the colorful houses, the famous “rows”, and discover the campus of one of the most famous universities in the world. Walk around the Potomac River and admire the colorful houses. Georgetown is a huge place of shopping in DC. It contains most of the famous American brands (Levi’s, Kate Spade, American Apparel, Urban Outfitters ..), small independent shops and many restaurants. Im a big fan of decoration, I flashed on the American Holidays shop, filled with small treasures. The stores are mostly located on M Street and Wisconsin Avenue.
- Top 5 of monuments not to be missed:
- The White House : If you are going to DC it is necessarily to make a detour to the White House. It is One of the great symbols of America, seen again and again on TV thousands of times. To visit the inside, you must book an online tour (sometimes months in advance)
- The Capitol: It is the seat of the US Congress, do not miss this neo-classical monument. It is also possible to visit it but again,do not forget to book in advance on their website.
- National Esplanade :It is a public park downtown in the middle of it stands the Washington Monument. 169 meters high, the obelisk was built in honor of George Washington.
- Martin Luther King Memorial: There is a statue of the famous activist for human rights. When you’ll be walking, you will discover many quotations and excerpts of his speeches set in the stone.
- The Memorial of the Second World War: It is a haven of peace in the middle of the tourist bustle, this gigantic fountain (Rainbow Pool) is surrounded by 56 commemorative columns, each representing a state or US territory.
The best time to go Washigton is the period of “cherry blossom”. Each year, thousands of trees color the city with a bright pink. On this occasion, you can attend a variety of events: parades, concerts, exhibitions..
The temperatures can be really hot in summer. So do not forget the sunscreen. And why don’t you opt for a hotel with swimming pool for a sun bath well deserved end of the day ?