I read an insanely interesting book a few months ago that I keep thinking about even as more and more time passes by. The book is titled “The End Of Your Life Book Club”, and was written by Will Schwalbe. Without giving away too many details, the story is about a mother and son bonding over literature while the mother goes through chemotherapy and treatments for cancer. They reread books that they loved in the past, and try to read other books that had been recommended by others. I have always been fond of any form of literature, and find that one of the most exhilarating conversations you can have with someone is over a book you have both read.
I also believe that reading is the worlds ultimate escape and has the power to shape an entire persons belief system. Months later, I lay in bed or sit in class and randomly think about a book that I would add to my list… my “End Of Your Life” list. While I think a lot of things change in life, one of those rare constants is a piece of literature that we truly love. I would not say this is my ultimate list, but this is definitely a lot of the essential books I would add to my list. I would invite all of you to really put some thought into what you would add and want others to read if they only had a brief time left on this earth.
- What Remains by Carole Radziwell
- Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitgerald
- The Collected Poems by Sylvia Plath
- Night by Eli Wiesel
- A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou