Nip April showers in the butt this week, here are five ways to glam up your rain gear:
1. Rain Coats: Are an essential part of your your rainy day wardrobe. I am a fan of the classic trench coat and parkas. Zara makes really great summer trench coats, they brighten up your day with chic metallics and bold yellows. They also make great parkas like this one here, they leather sleeves give the coat extra edge.
2. Colors: Don’t be drab just because it is gloomy out! Pick out some bright colored dresses/pants/skirts to add some life to a boring day. For those daring fashionistas make an attempt at mixing some prints! Try layering if you are going to mix prints, this creates a color-blocking flow from one print to another.
3. Umbrellas: Go bubble or go home!! I’m a HUGE fan of bubble umbrellas they are so cute! But for those who aren’t, a more practical sized/wind proof umbrella can be seen here by Dav (hint: they also make super cute/affordable rain boots). They make compact umbrellas that are perfect for NYC commuters. Also, try some crazy print umbrellas to add pizzaz.
4. Accessorize: People tend to gravitate to neutral colors on grey days, an awesome way to counter that is to add a bright colored scarf or hat to your outfit. They double as protection against wind/rain and complete your look.
5. Rain Boots: One of the most important statement pieces to complete your look are your rain boots. Whether your a fan of Hunter (tall, short, heeled) boots or Valentino biker boots it is important to have a pair that says something about you. I am also a fan of the Jimmy Choo-Hunter collaboration, although they are hard to find in stores now (three seasons old). Not only do these boots give an illusion of being textured, they also come in bright colors such as red and yellow.
For more on fashion, social media, marketing, and more follow me on Twitter: @LizclaireT